Bexley Council have launched their Discretionary Business Grant scheme application process to provide some extra help for small businesses whose income has been significantly affected by Covid-19.
Only small businesses in Bexley who have ongoing fixed property-related costs and are outside the scope of the existing Government business grant schemes will be eligible to apply. Due to the limited funding available, priority is being given to certain categories of business. Applications will be accepted online from Thursday 18th June for 2 weeks, although the application deadline may close sooner if the number of applicants exceeds expectations.
Bexley Council’s allocation for this fund is £1.762million and grants awarded will vary. The minimum award will be £1,500 and the maximum £10,000.
The criteria for businesses to apply is set out below:
- has a trading address in the London Borough of Bexley
- was trading on 11 March 2020
- is not currently in administration, insolvent or subject to a striking off notice
- has not received and is not eligible for other government grants during Covid-19
- has less than 50 employees across the whole business
- has significant ongoing fixed property costs (e.g. rent, commercial mortgage payments, service charges etc)
- has experienced significant (i.e. 50% or more) loss of income during the Covid19 lockdown period
- is in one of 5 priority business categories, as set out below:
- businesses in serviced offices, flexible workspaces, co-working spaces but not separately rated for Business Rates (NNDR)
- regular market traders (with weekly pitches in the borough)
- small charities (in premises with Rateable Value (RV) of £15k or less)
- retail, hospitality and leisure sector businesses occupying rateable property over £51k RV (up to £150k RV inclusive)
- day nurseries in premises rated for Business Rates (NNDR)
Commenting, James said:
“Whilst I have remained in contact with our local businesses throughout Covid-19 with many sharing their positive feedback on receiving government support and grants during this incredibly challenging time, I am aware that some businesses have not previously been eligible for government grants.”
“This is therefore very welcome support for these small local businesses, but I know that demand will be high and Bexley Council are unlikely to be able to help everyone who applies. I would therefore strongly encourage applicable businesses to complete the forms as soon as possible and in full via www.bexley.gov.uk/services/business-bexley/discretionary-business-grant….”